A PAN card is a universal identity card that keeps a track of all monetary transactions of an individual. However, there are many instances when people either lose their PAN card or it gets stolen or misplaced somewhere. For this reason, the government has made adequate measures to enable such individuals get a duplicate copy of their PAN card online and even reprint it to use it for various purposes.
How to Get a Duplicate PAN Card
The process to apply for a duplicate PAN Card is simple. Whether you are an individual entity, an association of people or Hindu Undivided Families (HUF), you can apply for a duplicate PAN card by visiting the official website of TIN – NSDL of the Income Tax (IT) Department.
Previously you were required to file an FIR in case of loss or misplacement of your PAN Card but it is not mandatory now. You just need to apply for a duplicate PAN Card online by submitting a copy of your old PAN and other required documents. You should know that duplicate PAN Card and Reprinting a PAN Card are the same and hence the process is also same for both the purposes. However, if you want to make some changes in the PAN details, then you will have to follow the procedure of PAN Correction.
Anyone including individuals/trusts/HUFs, who want to apply for a duplicate PAN card can initiate the process by following the below steps.
Procedure to Apply for a Duplicate PAN Card Online
- Log on to the TIN-NSDL website of the income tax department
- Go to the section “Reprint of PAN Card”
- Once there, choose the “Apply” tab and select the kind of PAN for which you need to file the reprint request.
- You will now have to fill the form with the details such as your name, address, email ID, phone number, existing permanent account number, etc.
- Once the form is duly filled, you will have to mention the documents such as your ID and date of birth proof, your photographs, and a proof of existing card you want to reprint.
- Submit the form. This step should be followed by the payment that has to be made online via debit/credit card, net banking or demand draft. One should note that the total cost to apply for PAN would be Rs 110 including taxes if the PAN has to be delivered on an Indian address and if the address is outside India, the payment of Rs 1020 including taxes has to be made.
- Once the payment is done and all supporting documents are submitted, an acknowledgement letter will be provided. It will have a unique 15 digit number which can be further used to track the application.
- You should take a print out of the acknowledgement letter, sign it and affix a passport size photograph on it. Now you must send this acknowledgement letter to the address given below along with the mentioned document proofs. If you are making payment through demand draft, attach the same.
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341,
Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony,
Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411016
Do not forget to put your acknowledgement number on top of the envelope. This letter should reach at the address within 15 days of filing the online request.
- Ideally, it will take around two weeks for the PAN Card to reach your address after the verification of documents.
Also Read: How to Change PAN Name after Marriage
When to Apply for a Duplicate PAN Card
You should apply for a duplicate PAN only when your card is either lost, stolen, misplaced, or damaged and when there is incorrect information printed on the card such as your name, PAN Card details, etc. that needs to be rectified by following the PAN Correction procedure.